A Day with Wolf Park Ambassadors
October 08, 2022
Join Wolf Park for a unique learning experience taught by our staff and animal ambassadors. Each of our species represents Indiana’s natural history and you will learn about the behavior, ecology, and conservation status of wolves, foxes, and bison. Throughout the seminar you will learn about the history of wolf park, why socialization facilitates higher husbandry standards, and how positive reinforcement training is essential for animal welfare. You will learn how to interpret behavior-based communication through presentations and direct interactions with our wolves, foxes, and bison! Understanding how to read and interpret canid behavior is an experience that will benefit any dog lover, as many behaviors transfer across canid species.
There will be ample opportunities to ask our staff questions throughout the day and plenty of incredible opportunities for photography. Be sure to bring your camera and open ears for this exclusive, behind-the-scenes day with Wolf Park’s ambassadors.
- History of Wolf Park.
- Ecology and conservation status of wolves, foxes, and bison.
- How to interpret wolf and fox body language and behavior.
- Benefits of socialization and positive reinforcement training.
- Husbandry practices for wolves, foxes, and bison in human care.
- Question and answer session with Wolf Park staff members.
This seminar is primarily run by our team of animal care staff, including Pat Goodman who has been at Wolf Park for 45 years and world-renowned wolf photographer Monty Sloan who has been at Wolf Park for over 30 years. Our animal ambassadors are essential instructors and will “teach” participants during the wolf, fox, and bison visitations. Wolf Park is home to 6 gray wolves, 2 red foxes, 2 gray foxes, and 13 bison.
Dates, Cost, and Dietary Information
The seminar will be held on October 08 from 9:00am – 5:00pm. The price is $445, and spaces are very limited. This seminar includes visitation with a wolf pack, a fox species, and our bison. There will be a break for lunch, but no meals are provided with seminar.
Monty Sloan will be taking photographs of each visit with our ambassadors. You may sign-up, the day of the workshop, to receive a Dropbox folder of these photos to commemorate your visits with wolves, foxes, and bison for just $60.
- Participants must be 18 or older.
- Participants must wear long pants, closed toe shoes, and shirts with sleeves (no tank tops). Dangling earrings, earrings with butterfly backs, and any easily removeable jewelry must be removed. Additional clothing requirements will be provided in a welcome packet.
- Participants must be capable of standing and walking through uneven terrain.
- Participants must watch a 75 minute safety orientation video and pass a short quiz prior to arrival.
- Participants must acknowledge that Wolf Park reserves the right to deny entry to our wolf enclosures after evaluating participants for safety concerns.
- Participants must acknowledge that Wolf Park reserves the right to end an ambassador encounter early if necessary for the safety of the participants and/or the welfare of our ambassador animals.
- Participants must acknowledge that they may be asked to leave and forfeit their program payment if the rules and/or staff suggestions are not followed.
Cancellations occurring greater than 10 days prior to the seminar can apply 75% of the registration fee to another seminar. Arrangements for transfer must occur by 12/31/22. If arrangements do not occur, your fee will be considered a tax-deductible donation. No refunds if cancellation occurs less than 10 days prior to the seminar. Only if the seminar is canceled by Wolf Park will the fee be refunded.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].